Thursday, July 18, 2013

In Which Pain Makes Me More Random Than Usual

Hi there, my dear readers. 

As I am typing this to you, I am suffering a serious migraine.  Why am I not in bed?  I can hear you asking.

Well....technically, I am in bed, but that's besides the point.

I have way too much on my mind for sleep at the moment.  The pain is better than it was earlier this evening, so I can actually see straight, and I decided to take advantage of that fact.

Why do I have a migraine? 

First off, my birthday was Monday and I decided to live it up.  Saturday night out drinking with a friend (both alcohol and coconut in large quantities are triggers for me, which I didn't think about at the time - oh Malibu Rum, how I love and hate you...), Monday I spent most of the day with Boyfriend (IHOP, yarn and book shopping, a trip to school for his therapy appointment - more on that later), and dinner Monday night with the family at Red Lobster (we don't get to go very often, so I had lobster and crab and shrimp, all of which are triggers in large quantities).

(It was a great birthday, and I have no regrets. The people in my life are absolutely amazing and I am incredibly cared for, which makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.  Best birthday in a long time. :D)

Factor in stress for a moment here.  Boyfriend has been suffering from untreated depression for a while now, and I may or may not have done some drastic things on last Thursday to try to get him to show something - anything.  And we may or may not have had to work through things over the weekend to get him help and to help us be on good terms.  (Which we are.  And before you say anything, I did make an appointment with my therapist to discuss everything.  She is amazing.)

(And yeah, I know you can't help people until they realize they need help.  I was that way.  My sister was that way when she landed in the hospital.  As a former cutter and someone who deals with anxiety and depression, I get it.  It does not make it any less hard or less stressful.)

Now let's factor in my chocolate addition.  And the fact that there's salt on everything.  And that Boyfriend has been out of town since Tuesday and won't be back until the Wed before school starts for us.  I miss him like crazy and it's only been two days...

Plus Colorado weather changes.  Let's never forget Monsoon Season, lol.

So yeah.  Migraine party.  Still, I have no regrets.  I do think I'll try to keep a better eye on my triggers though.  Cause really, this sucks.

In other news, I haven't trained all week for my 5K.  I'm only a little nervous, you know? 

And by a little, I mean a lot.

Last time I got on the treadmill (which was last Wed), I could almost do a 17 minute mile. I know that's not the greatest, but for me that is huge.  Goal: 15 minute mile or less by August 17th, the day of the race.  I feel like I should be able to do it.

Also, I am so ready to go back to school.  I feel like science and teaching is really where I'm supposed to be.  The writing was a nice detour - I met some interesting people, learned some cool stuff, met my boyfriend via zombies during it - but not what I want to do forever.  I know teaching high school science will be hard, but I feel so strongly towards it.  It was originally what I went to community college for anyway, an Associates of Science to get my foot in the door.

(Forgive me if I've already talked about adding on the teaching certificate, I am pretty doped up on pain meds at the moment.  Like, earlier today, I tried unlocking the apartment door with the post office key.  Mom and sis just kind of laughed...)

Honestly, if I can make a difference in one kid's life, I will be happy.  And if teaching doesn't pan out, I still have my writing and my Environmental Science main degree to fall back on.

BTW, does anyone else think it's funny that this was supposed to be a yarn blog and it's become an everything-except-the-kitchen-sink thing instead?

Yeah.  That's my cue to try sleep again.

Hang tight, dear readers.  I'm sure there will be more excitement coming soon.

~Meaghan

No comments:

Post a Comment