Wednesday, July 20, 2016

The Wednesday Lowdown

Hey there, readers!

I really wanted a clever title for the blog post.  See, I was thinking that for the rest of the summer I would update on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.  Then when school starts in August, I would do Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursdays (since Tuesdays and Thursdays I'm at school and will have time between classes to write so I don't lose my mind) with the possibility of occasional posts should something exciting happens.

I was hoping to keep the titles consistent, so like Sundays would be listed as "Sunday Editions" and stuff, but I can't figure out enough newspaper puns at the moment.  So for now, it is what it is.

At least it will be consistent.

Anyway, this was not what I wanted to blog about today.

Actually, in all honesty you guys, my blogs tend to be random, so I normally don't have a plan when I write them.  Monday was an exception because there was so much I needed to cover.  Normally though, I can't promise what you're going to get.

Again, not what I wanted to blog about.

Someone is making me fanart.

Someone online offered to pay me money to write a fic because they like what I write so much that they wanted more.  

Can we talk about this for a moment?

Remember in the previous blog post I mentioned the MGS fandom saving me during a dark period and how I write a lot for the fandom?  Yeah, so apparently I make more waves than I thought because people online actually know who I am due to my writing.  People online actually like my writing.  You know, the stuff I can chunk out in handfuls when I'm on a good day, the stuff that I like writing but that I also worry about posting because frankly, there is so much good fanfiction out there.

I am so floored.

I feel like I'm this wholly unremarkable person, and yet, people like what I do, (and for some reason, they like me too, but that's a post for another time).  And some of the people who mention it are people who's writing I adore, so it's a little like being star struck.  And the whole reason I do it is because it makes me happy and it makes my friends happy.

And then I found out that someone really wanted more of a particular series I was writing, and when I reached out to her to offer to write her one, she had a mini meltdown and proceeded to tell me that she would pay me or do fanart or both as a thanks.

Again, I am floored.

I declined the money.  
I mean, I'm broke as fuck (I have a dollar to my name until school starts) but this isn't why I do what I do.  
If you're kind to me, I will happily bend over backwards for you.  
If you ask and I like you or know you, I'll write you anything in reason.

(That goes beyond fanfiction.  Kindness goes a long way.)

Anyway.

I'm getting a piece of fanart.
Of my favorite OC.
With her canon character beau.

I feel like crying.

It means so much to me that people actually think enough of me to offer these sort of things.  
And to be kind enough to work with Andi.

Alright, honestly, I love Andi so fucking much.
She's my favorite character I've ever made, and I get to explore so much through her.
Every time I write her or RP her or talk about her or get to share her with anyone, it just.
It's like there's a piece of me that gets away from everything and gets to love my girl instead, even if it's just for a small fic or quick reply or brief conversation.

I'm learning to love myself through her.

I've been incredibly fortunate, too, cause my bff, my husband, and my sister all get an earful from time to time, and they are so patient with me, and actually...like her too.

See, this is the beauty of fanfiction, folks.
You can have these characters you love and make characters you love, and they get you through.
They give you something to look forward to and something to get out of your head.

It is a legit writing form, and no one will ever tell me otherwise.
I encourage it.

Which actually, let's talk about OCs for a moment, since I'm gushing about mine.
There are times you will not like someone's OC.
You will feel competitive or frustrated that they're everywhere or just annoyed in general.

This has happened in one of the tags I follow.

But that does not give you the right to publicly drag the character or the person who created them.  It makes me so mad that people do that.
Frankly, I don't like a lot of OCs.
But the amount of love that goes into them does not deserve me coming along and to the creator's face telling them I dislike them.

We all love our OCs.
If you don't like them, move along quietly.  
Feel free to bitch to your friends, but please, just ignore us in public.  
Call outs are cruel.

Anyway, back to the point.

I am getting fanart of my favorite OC by a girl who is super kind and likes my writing and is officially the second person to ever draw her.  

(My bff drew some great Andi stuff that is my phone wall paper, and I will never, ever get rid of the art.  Ever.  It means so much to me.)

I am, in fact, blown away.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to end this post and go squeal a bit while trying to knit something.
(Next post will be about that, brace yourselves. I got yarn for a really cool project, bwahaha.)

~Birdie

No comments:

Post a Comment