Sunday, February 23, 2014

The Sunday Update

Hey there, dear readers!

I would like to start by sharing some good news.

The liver biopsy was not nearly as painful or scary as I thought it was going to be!  The doctor's were all very gracious and kind, I was numbed up very, very well, and while I had to be awake for the whole thing, everyone talked with me throughout.  It was not the worst medical experience of my life.

(I think last summer when I had the flu and couldn't stop puking was worse, actually.  But I digress.)

And the results came in.

I have been diagnosed with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease.

I can hear you on the other side of this blog.  What does that mean?  Are you okay?  What's going on?

It's actually a better result than I could have hoped for.  What it means is that my liver is inflamed due to fat cells.  I have family histories of obesity and high cholesterol, and I just recently diagnosed with high cholesterol.  (It really was just a matter of time, unfortunately.)

So by getting more exercise and eating better overall, plus a bit of weight loss, I should be okay.  I've been working on eating better since January anyway.  Starting Monday (oh, I guess that's tomorrow, lol), my fiance and I are going to work out together three times a week.  So it should be good.

There have been some major changes at home.  My sister and her fiance (they just recently got engaged) moved out and to his mom's house.  I don't really know how I feel about it.  I think I like her significant other. but he rubs me a bit the wrong way.  When he was living here, he basically stayed in their room all day and didn't really do much of anything.  And he talks in circles, which bugs the living daylights out of me.  And he sighs all the time.

But she's happy with him and they decided that moving out was the best option.  As long as she's okay, I'm not going to worry about it.  She'll be 21 in May.  So really, we couldn't stop her anyway.

This past week was nuts though.  Tempers were high until Thursday and the whole thing was pretty volatile.  But everything calmed down and sis left on good terms with the family.  She's going to be coming over for dinner twice a week, including family night, and things seem to be okay between her and my parents.  It does feel weird though.

(Fiance and I have been talking about married student housing next year once we're hitched.  But we're older too, so it seems like a logical next step.  And it's not as rushed as this - they literally were out within a week of deciding to leave.)

So my family unit is now my parents, my fiance, and myself.  We're in the process of downsizing from a 3 bedroom apartment to a 2 bedroom apartment in a more ideal location.  Parents are meeting with the new apartment people tomorrow and if all goes well, we'll be moved in a week.

Completely crazy and fast.

(In my experience, when things are supposed to happen, they usually go crazy stupid fast.  When we moved to Colorado, we literally were out of our house and packed within two weeks of my dad getting the job out here.  Does this happen to anyone else?  Crazy stupid fast, that is?)

So what have I been doing?

Procrastinating.

I've been kind of working on statistics homework this week.  And I've been knitting a lot.  My St. Brigid sweater is coming along beautifully, even though I can only do a few rows at a time.  That's the problem with cables.  They are very time consuming, at least for me.

(I'll do a separate blog about the sweater in the next few weeks.  Gotta get through packing and moving first.)

I've also been watching a lot of movies.  Fiance took me to see the Lego Movie this week.  Um, totally awesome.  Morgan Freeman did one of the voices, and Will Farrell was in it as well.  It was funny, fresh, and just fun.  I completely recommend it.

(Afterwards, we bought Legos.  I had never had my own Legos before due to price and whatnot; he bought me some.  It's awesome.  We built them up together the other night.  I don't care what anyone thinks - building Legos with someone you love is amazing.)

I also saw the Avengers this week.  I'm a little slow getting on the super hero band wagon.  Up until the past week, I really was just a DC kind of girl.  Batman will always hold a special place in my heart.

But the Avengers blew me out of the water.  Marvel has won me over.  Loki (played by Tom Hiddleston) is probably one of my all time favorite villains now.  He's crazy and handsome and charming and evil, yet sympathetic in a way.  And Scarlett Johansson as Black Widow - damn.  Can I be her when I grow up?  Pretty, pretty please?

Plus all the other actors and characters (I love Chris Evans as Captain America) just kind of blew me out of the water.  I'm now in the process of getting my hands on all the movies that came before Avengers.  I have Thor, Captain America, and Iron Man, all waiting to be watched before I return them to the library.

(Tonight's choice is Captain America, in case anyone is curious.)

So yeah.  Lots of procrastinating.

Which, depending on how tomorrow goes, will probably change to packing.  Lots of packing.  Fiance is already boxing up the living room as we speak.

Wow this was long.  My bad.

I hope you have a lovely Sunday, my dear readers.  I will be back with more exciting information as it becomes available to me.

Be kind to each other while I'm away. :)

~Meaghan

No comments:

Post a Comment