Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Update from School (And Why Online Forums Can Be Fun)

Hello, my readers.

This update is brought to you by the school computer bar, about 45 minutes before I have to take my first test in statistics.

 (I know, I know - why am I not studying at the last minute?  Because after four years of college, I know it does me no good.)

Anyway.

I rediscovered my favorite online forum this morning.  I just need to write about it.

Some background:

When I was 19, going on 20, I was kind of lonely.  I had friends, but I still felt like a bit of a misfit.  I was also really into the awesome show Mystery Science Theater 3000.

(I still am, actually, though not as much.  Fiance and I watch it together to relax after long days.  It still makes me laugh.  And he backs me up that Joel has a better relationship with the bots than Mike.  But this is a tangent and I should get back to the story...)

So I gave joining a forum a try.  The one I joined was based on MST3K and was pretty much (and from what I gathered this morning on my revisit, still is) awesome.  I met some people online, one of whom I'm actually still friends with.  It was great.

It was also kind of embarrassing at times, if I recall.  My internet manners were not probably the best, I was really awkward online too, and I shared some way personal stuff with strangers.

(Isn't that what parents warn you against when you're growing up?  Sharing with strangers?  My bad.)

It's been over three years since I last posted or visited said forum.  I like to think I've grown up some since then, but I could be totally wrong.  So many things have changed.  I've graduated school with one degree and am working on another.  I'm in the process of planning my wedding to the most wonderful guy I know.  And I'm just trying to get through the day sometimes.

(This last part may be still true from the past, actually.)

The forum, while maybe awkward on my end from time to time, was probably one of the better things I did back in the summer of 2010.  It got me out of my head for a while until I figured out where I was going in life.  And like I mentioned earlier, I'm still friends with one of the girls I met on there.

So what are my thoughts on forums?

Do it.

There are millions of interesting people out there, and if you are going to live in a shell, you'll never meet them.

But don't let it consume you.  And don't let it drive your life either.  Find the balance.  Be the balance.

I guess I should get ready for my test now.

~Meaghan

No comments:

Post a Comment