Monday, January 14, 2013

A Need for Color


Hello, dear readers.

It’s a very gray January day here in Colorado.  Really, what else would I expect?  The cold and I don’t get along very well.  Right now it’s 5 degrees and overcast.  Lovely.

(My boyfriend, Trevor, has been in New Mexico visiting family this week.  I imagine this cold is going to be quite a shock for him…)

All my knitting is incredibly colorful.  I think it’s the only way I’m going to survive.  Lots of color, lots of yarn, lots of warmth.


This is my current sock project.  Just a standard sock made with ShibuiKnits sock yarn in Sky.  I love the stuff.  It’s so soft and the colors are brilliant.  This is the second one cause the first is already done.



This stuff is so comfy.  I swear, I could knit it all day. 

The ironic part is I used to be one of those people who was intimidated by socks.  They looked so scary.  But, like most knitters, once I started, I couldn’t stop.  I almost always have a sock project in my purse anymore.  They’re great for car rides, bus rides, lectures, meetings, and just about everything else.

These lovely blue socks are replacing my old merino socks that wore out last year. 



(Koigu hand painted merino.  I don’t remember what colorway it is, but I loved it.)



(I don’t darn socks.)

These autumn socks were my first pair of actual sock yarn socks.  I had only made socks with worsted weight up until that point.  I bought the yarn a local yarn shop when it was slushy outside around Christmas of 2011.  I loved them.

And now I’m hooked.

Anyway, back to color.

The other colorful project I’m working on is a hat I designed last year.



I call it the Heart Hat.  This one I’m knitting up in Lions Brand Wool-Ease worsted weight yarn, in Deep Forest Heather, Rose Heather, and Paprika.  I love Wool-Ease cause it has wool in it, so it feels soft and warm, but it also has acrylic, so it’s machine washable.  Great stuff.

I’m reading Kaffe Fassett’s autobiography, “Dreaming in Color”, and now I think I’m going to have to take all my scrap yarn and cast on for a crazy colored cardigan.  We’ll see how that goes.

Stay warm, dear readers.  I’m going to go play with my projects now. :)
~Birdie

No comments:

Post a Comment