Wednesday, January 16, 2013

When It's Cold...

..cast on a new project!

I was trying to come up with some new things last night.  My friend Kristine knits mittens and has a really cool way to formulate them.  It's incredible watching her go.  Mittens have always kind of made me nervous.  (Thumb gusset?  What?)

So last night while charting out some new colorwork, I attempted to write a formula for knitting mittens.

 
 
Which I then promptly ignored and cast on with abandon and scrap yarn.  Dangerous, I know.  But sometimes danger is good for the soul.

This is what I have as of five minutes ago:


I would like to note that this is without a pattern.  It's a little big, but that's okay.  I'm more or less experimenting.  So far, I like it.

Also, in case you were wondering, I have not forgotten about the nice blue socks I was working on.  Today I made it to the heel flap, all while in the car.



Do those stripes look a little wonky?  Cause they do to me.  I know that's the beauty of hand painted yarn, but I still can't get over how this is pooling.  Also, I know they're from the same dye lot, I know the Loopy Ewe wouldn't send two from different lots, and I double checked when they came.  But look at this:


Isn't that strange? 

I still love them though.  They're my odd little blue socks, full of soft warmth and personality.  :)

My sister Katie wants me to knit the Doctor's Scarf.  We ordered the yarn today, and it should be in by this time next week.  The Yarn Harlot did it in a week; Kate's expecting her within ten days of the yarn delivery.  I'm not sure how I feel about it.  I mean, that's a whole lot of garter stitch.  I'm excited for the challenge though.

(It does mean putting these cuties on hold though.  That's okay, I can't afford yarn at the moment anyway.)

And that is that.  Back to my mitten now. :)

~Birdie

2 comments:

  1. That pooling is really strange... I'm making mittens with hand-painted yarn, and there doesn't seem to be any weird pooling, although I am knitting double-stranded.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Turns out, it's the particular brand. I found out they like to use a lot of "twists" in there colorwork, lol.

      Delete