Saturday, January 19, 2013

Love of Yarn (Spin)

My friend Kristine (found here and here ) is totally awesome.  She and I have been friends for what feels like forever; maybe 7 years?  Maybe more?  Anyway, we talk about everything.  And we both knit.

Well, Kristine spins.  She makes this beautiful yarn that she dyes and spins herself.  It's always amazing.  For the past year for various occasions, she's gifted me this incredible stuff.

(This is what I made with the beautiful merino she dyed/spun for me for graduation.  The picture is a little grainy, but you can see how beautiful it is.)



So when I got a pretty gold package from her and her boyfriend when they came to visit around Christmas, I thought I was going to get some more pretty yarn. 

Wrong.

I got something (and I hate to say this) better.


That's right.  She gave me a drop spinner, some natural brown fleece, and then this beautiful stuff she custom dyed for me with some of my favorite colors.  Kristine then proceded to teach me to spin.

My stuff is still pretty uneven, but it's so much fun.  I've always loved the creation end of things when knitting, and this is just an extra bit.  Check it out:

 
 
 
 
Isn't her colorwork awesome?!  I can't get over how many colors are hidden.  I keep finding all these different shades as I spin, yellow green and dark green and mid green and blue green and deep purple and almost neon purple and everything in between. 

I only have one ball finished; the other is in the works.  When I'm done, I'm going to ply them together and set it.  Then we'll see what pretty knitting I can do. :)

~Birdie

P.S. - I looked into the pooling of my socks.  Turns out that the particular kind I'm using is known for having large twists of color.  I still love them.  And now I know for future reference.

No comments:

Post a Comment